By Joel H. Silbey
A significant other to the Antebellum Presidents presents a chain of unique essays exploring our old knowing of the function and legacy of the 8 U.S. presidents who served within the major interval among 1837 and the beginning of the Civil battle in 1861.
- Explores and evaluates the evolving scholarly reception of Presidents Van Buren, Harrison, Tyler, Polk, Taylor, Fillmore, Pierce, and Buchanan, together with their roles, behaviors, triumphs, and failures
- Represents the 1st single-volume connection with assemble jointly the historiographic literature at the Antebellum Presidents
- Brings jointly unique contributions from a group of eminent historians and specialists at the American presidency
- Reveals insights into presidential management within the zone century prime as much as the yank Civil War
- Offers clean views into the mostly forgotten males who served in the course of the most decisive region centuries of usa history
Read or Download A Companion to the Antebellum Presidents 1837-1861 PDF
Best leaders & notable people books
Sangharashita's historical past of the way his radical realizing that the religious lifestyles and monastic way of life usually are not exact deepened via his encounters with Burmese clergymen, Tibetan lamas and ex-Untouchable Indian Buddhists.
This can be the tale of the existence and loss of life of Reinhard Heydrich, the guy who many considered as the worst of the entire Nazi mass murderers.
Mistaken Giant--the huge concluding quantity to Robert Dallek's biography of Lyndon Baines Johnson--provides the main via, engrossing account ever released of Johnson's years within the nationwide highlight. Drawing on hours of newly published White residence tapes and dozens of interviews with humans on the subject of the President, Dallek finds LBJ as a visionary chief who labored his will on Congress like no leader govt prior to or for the reason that, and likewise monitors the intensity of his deepest agony as he turned more and more ensnared in Vietnam.
From one of many maximum political newshounds of contemporary instances, an insider’s account of 4 a long time of overlaying the British political scene, filled with stories of the most important political happenings of the final part century. Philip Webster lined politics for the days newspaper for forty three years, together with 18 years as its political editor.
- The Biographical Encyclopedia of Islamic Philosophy
- Parish Priest: Father Michael McGivney and American Catholicism
- FDR's Quiet Confidant: The Autobiography of Frank C. Walker
- Abe Lincoln
- Muhammad: Man of God
- Henry Knox: Visionary General of the American Revolution
Additional info for A Companion to the Antebellum Presidents 1837-1861
Free Soil, Free Labor, Free Men: The Ideology of the Republican Party before the Civil War. New York: Oxford University Press. Forbes, Robert P. 2007. The Missouri Compromise and its Aftermath: Slavery and the Meaning of America. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press. Formisano, Ronald P. 1971. The Birth of Mass Political Parties: Michigan, 1827–1861. Princeton: Princeton University Press. Formisano, Ronald P. 1976. “Toward a Reorientation of Jacksonian Politics: A Review of the Literature, 1959–1975,” Journal of American History 63: 42–65.
1983. Parties and Politics in North Carolina, 1836–1865. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press. Kutolowski, Katherine. 1989. The Social Composition of Political Leadership: Genesee County, New York, 1821–1860. New York: Garland. Larson, John L. 2001. Internal Improvement: National Public Works and the Promise of Popular Government in the Early United States. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press. Levine, Bruce. 2012. ‘“The Vital Element of the Republican Party’: Antislavery, Nativism, and Abraham Lincoln,” Journal of the Civil War Era 1: 482–505.
Nichols, Roy F. 1967. The Invention of the American Political Parties: A Study of Political Improvisation. New York: Free Press. 38 joel h. silbey Oakes, James. 1990. Slavery and Freedom: An Interpretation of the Old South. New York: Alfred A. Knopf. Offen, Karen. 2011. “The History of Feminism is Political History,” Perspectives on History 45: 22–24. Pessen, Edward. 1984. The Log Cabin Myth: The Social Backgrounds of the Presidents. New Haven: Yale University Press. Pocock, J. G. A. 1975. The Machiavellian Moment: Florentine Political Thought and the Atlantic Republican Tradition.